Friday, October 7, 2011

Spoken Poetry

I watched Sarah Kay on TED and I have been inspired.  Spoken poetry sounds amazing!  There is something about the spoken word so different from the written word.  The written word has room for interpretation.  This is why texting sometimes drives me a little nuts.  You never know if someone is being sarcastic or not.  The voice of a person carries an emotion along with the words.  Taking speech class and being around a ton of actors has taught me the importance of inflection on certain words.  The same phrase can mean many things if said differently.  Poetry has had a reputation on being very emotional.  How can it not be when the people who write it are so damn emotional?  An English teacher of mine recommended reading poems out loud in order to understand them better, and not just once but many times.  The more I said the words out loud, the more I understood them.  Sarah mentions within the clip from TED that spoken poetry incorporated her two loves: poetry and theatre.  I live in the world of theatre every day and know firsthand how people can be influenced by what is said on stage.  I don't claim to know everything about theatre, because who can fully know an art that dates all the way back to the Greeks?  Though I believe that a catharsis happens to the audience when they both hear and see.  Shakespeare is universally known as an amazing playwright by those in the theatre profession to those who have no knowledge of the master except, "to be or not to be, that is the question."  The flow of poetry has a wondrous effect on people.  A person will remember poetry.  This is why I find spoken poetry so fascinating.
Anis Mogjani is one person who I have somewhat familiarized myself with and I find rather amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment